Current Volunteer Needs:
Last year we had a wonderful year, full of volunteer help. Cook-Wiss parents, grandparents, and neighbors got involved in classrooms, lunch times, tutoring, leading clubs, and putting on events of all kinds. All in all we had over one THOUSAND hours logged, and hundreds more unrecorded hours.
GREAT JOB EVERYONE !!!!!
2012-2013 Volunteer Opportunities
Tutoring: In addition to our regular events and activities, during 2012-2013 we are asking for parents, relatives, and community members to consider giving a sustained commitment of an hour a week for a "semester" (September-December or January-April) as a lunchtime math or reading tutor. You do not have to be a poet or a rocket scientist to do this--staff will provide an orientation and training, as well as materials to work with. All you need is patience, consistency, and the motivation to mentor students. If you are interested in volunteering in this capacity, please contact Rebecca Poyourow (Education Committee Chair) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer for Fundraising Activities and Special Events: The Cook-Wissahickon Home and School plans several events and activities throughout the year for the students. Below are a few things that we do which depend on volunteer help from parents and guardians. If you are interested in volunteering for any of these events, please contact Lisa Ishizaki at CWvolunteerscoordinator@gmail.com.
- Pretzel Sales - Every Tuesday school is in session. These require at least two people between the hours of 9:30am to 1:30am.Halloween Bake Sale - All families are asked to make donations of baked goods, fruit, or other store-bought snacks. We also need volunteers to assist the children in making their selections for a fast and efficient lunch period. Due to the amount of donations received we need a number of volunteers in the morning to prepare and set up the items, and to help during the lunch periods.
- Holiday Shop - This event is held in the beginning of December for an entire week. A number of volunteers are needed throughout the week to set up the shop and assist the children in making their selections and staying within the budget their parents have set.
- Book Fair - This occurs twice--in February and June for an entire week. A number of volunteers are needed throughout the week to set up the shop and assist the children in making their selections and staying within the budget their parents have set.
- Spirit Week - Happens in the spring after PSSA's. This is an entire week of fun activities around themes such as crazy sock day, crazy hat day, backwards day, etc.
- Parfait Party - This treat occurs in the Spring to thank the children for their hard work and support of home and school functions. We need a number of volunteers in the morning to prepare and set up the items and during the lunch periods to help serve the children.
- Teacher Appreciation Luncheon - Usually occurs on a Professional Development day in April. We ask families to donate food and other items to create a thank-you luncheon for the teachers. We also need volunteers to help set up, serve and clean up after the luncheon.
- Fun and Fit Day- This is a huge event at Cook-Wissahickon that is held around the beginning of June. There are activities, games and food throughout most of the day for the children. A large number of volunteers are needed for this event to help run the games, cook and serve food, and help with the activities (face painting, creating recycled robots, etc.).